Soundgen is an open-source algorithm for the synthesis of human non-speech sounds and animal vocalizations in a user-friendly way, with a limited number of acoustically meaningful parameters. This tool is primarily intended for psychological and biological research. Potentially it can also be used for human-machine interaction, since it provides a straightforward method for reproducing or generating de novo a wide variety of emotional vocalizations. Soundgen is published on CRAN as an R package, which also offers tools for acoustic analysis that were used in all my publications.
Bug reports, criticisms and suggestions are all warmly welcome! Soundgen is written and maintained by Andrey Anikin. You can reach me at rty.anik / at / rambler.ru
- Mar 04, 2018: soundgen v1.2.0 is released. More experience using soundgen for actual research, more features, fewer bugs. Better control over polysyllabic vocalizations, vectorized control parameters, reproducible nonlinear effects with precise timing, and more.
- Jan 23, 2018: another minor patch of soundgen, v1.1.2. Having used the package extensively for experimental work, I discovered and fixed a number of glitches and added some new functionality: a general scale factor for regulating formant bandwidth, schwa() function for working with formant frequencies, better plotting options, etc.
- Dec 02, 2017: soundgen v1.1.1 is on CRAN. This release is primarily a patch that fixes quite a number of small bugs. Notable new features include support for discontinuous contours allowing rapid transitions like pitch jumps, dedicated functions for post-processing like fading in/out or adding formants to an existing sound, and a one-click formant picker in the interactive app.
- Oct 19, 2017: soundgen v1.1.0 is on CRAN. Formants are synthesized "properly" in this release, with zero-pole or pole-pole models. Other improvements include synthesis of individual glottal pulses with a closed phase, dynamic control of rolloff and amplitude modulation, new functions for generating percussive sounds and raspberries, and more.
- Sep 4, 2017: the first official release of soundgen v1.0.0 is published on CRAN as an R package.
- Online app for sound synthesis (limited server time): the same as soundgen_app(), but it runs online in a browser, so you don't have to install anything
- Released R package on CRAN
To install from R: install.packages("soundgen")
- Developmental version and source code on github
- Vignette on sound generation (html)
- Vignette on acoustic analysis (html)
This page was last updated on Apr 29, 2018.