|Interactive sound synthesis: soundgen_app()||Interactive pitch editing: pitch_app()|
Soundgen is an open-source toolbox for voice synthesis, manipulation, and analysis. It is published on CRAN as a library (package) for the R programming language and comes with two interactive apps (see screenshots above) for pitch tracking and voice synthesis. The synthesis functionality is intended for creating human and animal non-speech sounds in a user-friendly way, with a limited number of acoustically meaningful parameters. The functions for acoustic analysis and manipulation are more general and can be applied to speech as well as non-biological sounds.
Bug reports, criticisms and suggestions are all warmly welcome! Soundgen is written and maintained by Andrey Anikin. You can reach me at rty.anik / at / rambler.ru
- Online app for sound synthesis (limited server time): the same as soundgen_app(), but it runs online in a browser, so you don't have to install anything
- Online app for pitch editing: the same as pitch_app() but runs online - again, limited server time, so please install the package and run the app locally for extended use
- Released R package on CRAN
To install from R: install.packages("soundgen")
- Developmental version and source code on github
- Vignette on sound generation (html)
- Vignette on acoustic analysis (html)
- Vignette on how to find the appropriate soundgen settings in order to manually create a synthetic version of a particular recorded sound (html)
Known bugs and issues
- soundgen(): the amount of high-frequency energy in the spectrum (slightly) varies depending on the sampling rate. The reason is that the number of extra formants added on top of the user-specified ones depends on the sampling rate (Nyquist frequency). Ideally, a generalized function summarizing the theoretical contribution of all formants above Nyquist should be used instead. If anyone knows how to do this, I'll greatly appreciate a tip!
- Be careful with the function getLoudness(): it is experimental and not yet properly validated!
Noticed more bugs? Need some functionality that is not available at present? Don't hesitate to send me an email!
This page was last updated on Oct 24, 2019.