Optimization under constraints
If you are surprised at certain aspects of the trip reports above, such as equipment and routes, note that they were chosen in accordance with my credo, which can be summarized as S.A.L.V.O.:
- I like to go Solo. The weight of the shelter, kitchen etc cannot be divided among several companions.
- The trips are normally Autonomous: I carry all my supplies (food, fuel etc) and practice wild camping.
- I believe in hiking Light. Given the first two constraints, the only way to achieve a light backpack is to leave behind everything but the essentials.
- As a Vegetarian, I try to avoid products with leather and down, not to mention that the diet is plant-based.
- My routes are kept Open: instead of attempting to get from A to B as quickly as possible, I like to improvise.
Earlier trips (no reports)
- 2015, August 13-23 (10 days). Sarek, Sweden. Walked from Suorva to Kvikkjok with a lot of climbing.
- 2012, June (7 days). Hardangervidda, Norway. Walked from Finse to Kinsarvik.
- 2011, April (9 days). Walked in Cairngorms, Scotland.
- 2010, December (8 days). Walked west of Inverness, Scotland.
- 2010, July (5 days). Hardangervidda, Norway. Walked from Finse to Kinsarvik as a honeymoon trip with my wife.
- 2009, December (10 days). West Highland Way, Scotland. Walked from Fort William to Glasgow.
- 2009, July (7 days). Walked in Ergaki mountains, Khakassia / Tuva, Russia.
- 2007, July (5 days). Kazakhstan / Kyrgyzstan. Walked and climbed in Tian Shian between Almaty and lake Issyk-Kul.
- 2006, July-August (16 days). Irkutsk Region / Tuva, Russia. Walked and climbed in the Sayan mountains (non-solo).
- 2005, February (5 days). Walked in Las Yungas, Bolivia.
- 2005, January (6 days). Walked in Cordillera Huayuash, Peru.
- 2005, January (5 days). Walked in Cordillera Blanca, Peru.
- 2003, May (7 days). Paddled down the Bug river, Carpathians, Ukraine (non-solo).
- 2002, May (7 days). Paddled down the Stry river, Carpathians, Ukraine (non-solo).
- 2001, May (5 days). Paddled down the Serezha river, Russia (non-solo).